So, Death Valley. We packed the car with enough water and left for what promised to be another highlight of this trip. Our top 5 of what we will remember from Death Valley:
- Stovepipe Wells for ice cream and cold drinks. People are actually working and staying there.
- Badwater, the lowest point in North America (282 ft or 86 m below sea level).
- Artist’s Drive and Palette: a scenic drive along a splendid variety of rock colors, caused by the oxidation of different metals.
- Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes and so-called ‘dust devils’ (small sand whirlwinds).
- Dante’s View as the absolute climax of our drive through the hottest place on earth. Astonishing views, especially around sunset.
Dehydrated but satisfied we left Death Valley, stopped at a drive-thru and drove further to Sin City.